8.19.2006

The Spanish Caller



Has this ever happened to you?

Luke and I occasionally get a phone call from an unknown area code. We don't answer it, then we get a message left on our voicemail in Spanish. We both have our own cell phone, and it has happened on both of our phones. Luke even went so far as to save the message and play it for some of his Spanish speaking co-workers. They couldn't understand what it said. He played it for a bunch of different people at work, and some people thought it was a calling card message.

I haven't heard from the Spanish voicemail in a while, but last week a number called my cell every day listed as "unknown." I would have answered it, but I kept missing the call, and when I tried to call it back, my phone said "no number." Then today, I get a phone call from 773.703.7421. I was sitting with Luke, and I didn't answer it because I get weird about talking to someone on the phone when someone else is in the room. Like if it was a long lost high school friend, then I would have to have my polite phone voice on, and I hate it when someone I know really well hears my polite phone voice masking surprise and probably regret (at deciding to answer the phone). I just really hate talking on the phone.

So, I try to call it back after I see there's no message. My call cannot be completed. Phone sleuth that I am (and slightly nervous that it's a creditor calling to tell me I owe someone somewhere money), I plug the number into google. 773 area code is in Illinois, apparently. Then I find this website, www.whocalled.us and plug in the number and there are all of these comments about the number calling people's cell phones. Some comments say that they get a message left in Spanish.

One extremely awesome person, "Bill," went so far as to comment:
we are in AMERICA, and we should NOT be receiving calls in another language that is not the language of this country! this is 1,000 times worse than a regular telemarketing call

Wow.

What is the key to the mystery of the Spanish caller?

No comments: